Barrack of the Carabineers
The original barrack buildings dates back to 1844, when they were erected by the Royal Corps of Carabiniers to combat smuggling, in particular of tobacco, and keep watch over the coastline. During the military coup of 1936, the Carabiniers remained loyal to the Republic, and as a result were disbanded at the end of the Civil War. Between 1939 and 1970 the barracks were occupied by the Civil Guard. The building is located amid wetland flora, with flooded marshes, reeds, seablite and marsh samphire, along with significant populations of esparto grass. The peacefulness of the unspoiled beach where it stands means that various species of birdlife feed there, including the Kentish plover (which also breeds here), the Audoin's gull and the osprey.
Delta del Llobregat. Espais Naturals del Riu
08820 El Prat de Llobregat Barcelona